Over the past year we’ve had our share with internet slowness, phone outages and whatnot. Our internet providers help desk never was able to find it and had solutions like upgrading our package to get a different signal, new modem, blaming Apple, replace cables… All the default stuff.
On my own I have replaced both Airport Extremes, bought new switches, new server hardware, endless reconfiguring and resetting of devices.
In the past month or so the speeds were so bad we *actually* made a fuss and demanded that some expert come take a look at it. So they send over a technician. After a 5 minute streak of mumbling and following cables he concluded that my Airport Extreme was the culprit. Explained me how it was not the Internet providers fault and left.
Obviously that didn’t solve the problem for us. So I called support again and got through to their tier 2 support who said they would run some tests. If I could monitor when it was slow, note the time and ping the site we were trying to reach and write that down too. That sounded constructive. We set a date to talk over the results of that a week later.
So we did. Meanwhile the issue had been bumped to tier 3 support because “something was fluctuating the signal” which was cause for some alarm apparently. 2 days ago the Tier 3 guy called, asked me for the results. He also shared his results. Seeing spikes in our signal every so much seconds. If I could confirm this with a endless ping from my end to various points on my network and the internet. We did and indeed saw the spikes on my end too.
If I could go into my modem and restart it, he told me the address 192.168.1.1 or something. To which I replied that I had changed it to 10.0.0.1 to coincide with my network and avoid conflicts with VPN connections to clients.
ohhhh, but that’s a problem!
“Why?” I asked.
His reply; “Well, our VOIP system runs on that segment.”
“But how does that conflict? Does the router run on linux?” I ask.
“Yes, at the core it’s a basic linux OS.” He says.
And that’s it then. As some of you may know. Linux/Unix systems always have trouble separating interfaces which run on the same/similar IP address ranges and what’s worse in the same size subnet. Thus, creates a addressing conflict. Causing phone outages in that network (not just our phone apparently) and every time an address conflict popped up, which was every minute or so, there would be a spike in our Internet signal.
So as a test we reset the modem to factory defaults. And *poof* no more spikes and a much more stable signal. Sooo I was kindly advised to reconfigure my network to something that doesn’t conflict with their stuff. Which I did and things seem better so far.
Now hope it actually works faster… But for now it seems resolved yay!