Do I still like it? Sure! Still useful? Not so much. But then, it never really was. I have an iPad after all.
What I use the Nexus 7 for
This is very much a matter of opinion. I’ve made it my new media player. Simple as that. The iPad, as I’ve always thought. Is a bit unwieldy. It’s rather large. Heavy even. And in comparison. The edges are rather sharp.
The Nexus is small and feels lighter. Perfect for bed-side movies and a few extra things on the side. I bought the Plex app and hooked it up to my Plex Server. And thats 90% of where I use the Nexus for. The other 10% are divided between the endless slur of Youtube and some browsing from time to time.
But what else?
Of course the Nexus is capable of so much more. But I’ve discovered that most apps I would want on the Nexus either I already have for the iPad or they’re cheap clones of things better bought on iOS.
I’ve tried some games. But somehow when I think of a mobile game I always reach out for the iPad or even iPhone. Not that I’m much of a gamer anyway. Same for more serious stuff. I have a slew of tools and diagnostic apps I sometimes use to manage servers. Or figure out networking setups. But I have them all on the iPad already. I did look for some to get on Android. But either they suck, look ugly or simply don’t suffice. So I’ll stick to the iPad for that.
I did get a Wifi scanner/widget thingy though. To more easy find and connect wifi networks. But that’s more a convenience thing.
Aside from the almost “default” social apps such as Yahoo Messenger, Linkedin and Facebook. I have nothing on the Nexus. Some bookmarks to sites I have or need easy access to. But also this is a convenience thing I rarely use, and only if I’m too lazy to grab my iPad.
Syncing your data?
If it’s not on a Google service, it’s a hassle. There is no decent Email app. Caldav support is wonky and only possible with weird plugins that do not work well. It’s just not great. And after a while I just gave up and demoted the Nexus to media only.
Since Google doesn’t believe in a proper tool to sync data and files I’m almost forced to use the Nexus autonomously. I have Android File Sync… But that’s so primitive and cumbersome. A slew of non-descript folders to put stuff in. Bleh.
I threw on some music. But since it didn’t sync with iTunes that took me a while to select songs, export from iTunes and then copy them to the Nexus.
User friendliness was clearly not on the developers agenda here. Or perhaps I’m just spoiled with things like iTunes.
Movies, movies, movies.
Since the screen is 1280×800 or something it plays 720p movies quite nicely. Combined with a proper set of headphones (I have some Sony in-ear set that works very well) it’s quite the media beast.
As I’ve mentioned before, I bought Plex. I also have Plex on the iPad and iPhone. So I can watch whatever, whenever. But I prefer to do this on the Nexus. Because it’s small and easily handled.
Movies on the toilet, in bed, in the kitchen. Where I have wifi I can watch movies on a lightweight small device. The iPad (and even the iPhone) is less comfortable for this I think.
People seem to think that if an Android is not rooted it’s not a real device. I don’t care. I don’t want to root my Nexus. I don’t need root access to customize every pixel and icon and every mechanic of Android. AlsoI don’t want it more awesome by overclocking the CPU or whatever. And I certainly do not need wonky cracked software. If I like an app, I’ll buy it.
I did, however, install NovaLauncher. This replaces the default springboard and app launcher with one that offers some customization. And it’s mostly, or solely, visual effects. Rotating icon pages instead of a slider. Gestures. And a bunch of other things to make it a bit more pretty and add some ease of use into app management. Also NovaLauncher allows you to hide apps. So I’ve hidden almost all of the stock apps since I don’t use them anyway.
If you have a Nexus 7 – What do you use your Nexus for?