Hell yea! Snow Leopard is here… It’s the DVD from the Up-to-date program that came with my new MacBook Pro. But currently it’s installing on my iMac. So i guess the “eligible for update” is a fake unlike the check on Leopard. Leopard indeed checked your serial number or something to see if an upgrade DVD would work for you. Snow Leopard apparently doesn’t. Or not as strict.
It’s installing now, the re-installer as others have noted is very different. I’m curious if this thing will allow me to do a clean install. But for eagerness sake i went with the upgrade for my iMac. Which you start from the desktop. I guess Snow Leopard just strips out the PPC code all over the place and upgrades system bits where required. Or something along those lines. No reboot was required so everything was still active.
We’ll see how it turns out!
Earlier this week i discovered some flaws or mistakes i had made in my server setup. Me trying to fix it resulted in a epic mess of my admin/network user to be messed up and weird shares appeared while the home folder for that user was divided over the regular location in /Users/arnan and another bunch was in /Shared Items/arnan and a bit of other stuff somehow ended up in /Var/root. Needless to say this was somewhat unworkable and needed proper fixing.
As creating a new user and removing the old didn’t seem to help one bit i decided to correct the issue proper and re-install the server and with that iron out some other quirks that sneaked into the system.
So i did last night, all went well. Updates, setup, configuration. I almost trust Leopard server again, it went so well. But… With the reinstallation of the server the old users of-course had been deleted too. My external harddisk on the server didn’t quite get that and ALL folders and files had the wrong permissions. Which in itself is not so bad because it’s easily fixed. But fixing it in Leopard seems to mean “add the right permissions to the old and leave the old ones there, too”. This resulted in a small mess. Luckily Leopard also offers a neat and sexy way to solve this. Where Diskwarrior and Techtool Pro failed (because they both think the drive is in use and cannot be repaired).
In the sharing options in Server Admin make sure you set the right ACL and POSIX settings and then use this option:
This basically re-applies the ACL’s and stuff and all is well.
Now i need to look up things in the dictionary, and after killing it in spotlight this seemed a lengthy routine.
However it is easily fixable.
Open dictionary and go into it’s preferences.
Now go to a website, doesn’t matter which one and right click on a word:
Click that option and voila:
In-screen Dictionary results.
This works for many many OSX apps and is very handy
For weeks i’ve been annoyed with me looking up something in Spotlight, expecting the thing to find what i want and pressing enter in a split second only to find me ending up in a dictionary.
It seems Spotlight deems it necessary to look in the dictionary, wikipedia and more of such things also for programs. And give that higher priority than actually finding an App or file.
No more i say!
defaults write com.apple.spotlight DictionaryLookupEnabled NO
Solves all that. And damn Spotlight is faster too! yay!
Ofcourse for this to take effect Spotlight has to be restarted. Done by either restarting your mac or killing the Spotlight process.
Later i found this options is also available in the amazing prefpane secrets from Blacktree.
Which makes things even easier.